Game 37BE home
Welcome to the Emerald Forest Hotel!
This is the Homepage of the Virtual Innovation Week from UCLL, Leuven. This competition is called 37BE and is running from 29 March till 2 April March 2021. All content is in English.
Game 37BE has finished
Congratulations to all the winning teams:
- On Profit The Green Lotus €1,840,000
- On Creativity Emerald Forest Hub 7.7
- On Profit The Emerald Forest €1,270,000
- On Creativity The Emerald Forest 7.7
- On Profit The Woodland Retreat €1,732,000
- On Creativity The Woodland Retreat 8.3
- On Profit W&R Deskovski €1,750,000
- On Creativity W&R Deskovski 8.3
- On Profit NatureRise Hotel €1,507,000
- On Creativity The Green Grove Resort 8.3
- On Profit GeoRest €1,839,000
- On Creativity GeoRest 7.7
- On Profit Holiday Green-Inn €1,808,000
- On Creativity Emerald Forest Resort 8.0
What is the Game?
You and every member of your team are tasked with the take-over of the Emerald Forest Hotel as the new Management Team. You will manage the hotel, bring improvements to its current operations, and deliver noticeable results when compared to prior years. Last year's performance results and its related decisions will be made available to you. Along with historical data, this will serve as a point of reference. This becomes the same starting point for all (other) teams.
Your hotel is located in Belgium, or anywhere in Europe, in a number of (fictitious) cities. In each city, multiple hotels are also found. Your main competitors are the other existing hotels within your city.
CEO Jill Jandal and owner Christina Bergman want you to manage the Emerald Forest Hotel efficiently and effectively. Coaches will help you achieve this task; meanwhile, Jill and Christina will be following any developments behind the scenes.
Corona has changed the market
Of course, Corona has dramatized the situation in hospitality in 2020. The impact is expected to be significant. Some changes and situations are temporary, and the industry is likely to recover from that. A number of changes will be structural as a result of the pandemic. A large number of benchmarks and figures are only available for the full year of 2019. Of course, the year 2020 cannot be compared in any way with previous years. Neither will 2021, probably. However, it is precisely in these times that creativity is needed and that there is room for innovation and new initiatives.
What are the goals?
As the new Management Team, your main task when taking over the hotel is to do better than your predecessors. The existing timeline and set dates of the Emerald Forest Hotel offer the possibility to apply sound management skills and acquired knowledge thus far.
The learning goals entail that you and the team:
- Process and analyse a large amount of data and that you select and apply the right information that will successfully help you managing the hotel;
- Work on assignments that will put your skills into practice, as acquired during the course of your studies so far;
- Run your own Management Team in a pleasant and professional manner;
- Behave as skilled managers: handling uncertainties, finding solutions, and learning from your own mistakes.
Consequently, you are expected to carry out your managerial duties and deliver the following:
- A set of assignments during the course of the game;
- Offering a strong and clear substantiation behind each of your decisions and actions;
- Meeting the deadlines, work in a timely and punctual fashion while continue acting adequately on new situations and challenges ahead;
- Creating a competitive position and strategy for your hotel.
This platform is your main source where you can find most documentation of the many elements that play a role in your hotel.
The Game will use 37BE Emerald Forest Hotel Facebook group as an additional platform to profile your hotel, so join as soon as possible! Each Management Team needs to delegate one team member to join the WhatsApp group, which supports the process of the Game itself.
Keep in mind that management has to deal with many uncertainties, and as such you will be confronted with a large amount of information and with many challenges. Managing a hotel may not be as easy as it appears. It is all part of the Game. Your coach(es) will be your first point of contact.
Corona situation and your study
As you have unfortunately experienced for some time, this Game will run entirely online. Exactly how and where to work and visit lectures in MS-Teams, you can hear through your coaches.
Each Management Team consists of approximately 4-5 students. Each city will be guided by its own coach(es).
|Coach and cities|
|-01- Amstelburg||Team A01 to A07||Greet Vandenboer en Frank Verbeeck|
|-02- Budano||Team B01 to B07||Dave Seré en Thomas Van Ryckeghem|
|-03- Copenstadt||Team C01 to C07||Christel Lammens en Guy Schelfhaut|
|-04- Dreskovski||Team D01 to D07||Peter Janssen en Ingrid Carton|
|-05- Efemada||Team E01 to E07||Neal Van Loock en Gudrun De Meulemeester|
|-06- Geopodo||Team G01 to G10||Inge Verstraete en Rutger Naessens|
|-07- Hadique||Team H01 to H10||Vera Vanhoucke en Tim Van Tilt|
On this platform, you can find all required assignments to manage your hotel.
Your entrepreneurial decisions and supporting explanations will have a major impact on the occupancy rate of your hotel and will influence your profit, next to the impact of your pricing and investment policy. Needless to say: having your team becoming familiar with all aspects of this hotel will enable you to get a better grip on the Game and help you in successfully completing the assignments.
During the Game, you will get a number of assignments. The marks of the assignments have a direct influence on the occupancy rate of your hotel. Regular feedback from your coach will support your team process. During the Game, only the coaches have insights into your marks. At the end of the Game, the total of the marking will be published per team at the end of the Game.
Next steps? You'll find the timeline and assignments on the page 37BE Assignments and timeline. Good luck!
→ GO! Top of this page